Monday, July 15, 2013

Race Report: Too Hot To Handle 15K - July 14, 2013

Boy oh boy, where do I even begin with this race!  Lets start with the fact that I was only four weeks out from the San Francisco Marathon, I was completely unprepared, my longest run since then had been a 10K, I had chinese food for dinner the night before (and a beer - so sue me), oh and it poured down rain the entire time?

Our alarm went off bright and early at 4:45am on Sunday and we headed out to Norbuck Park.  The 15K was set to start at 7:30.  While waiting in line for that ol' porta potty at 7:15 we felt a rain drop here and there.  The gun went off at 7:30 and at the same time, here comes the rain!  Mother Nature provided us her own hydration station for the entirety of the race.  Given the fact that a race in Texas (in July) is usually unbearably hot, it was a welcomed gift!

One of the things I have struggled with most during my active recovery since San Fran, is getting my pace back on track.  During marathon training the pace slows significantly to allow for the extra mileage being tacked on, so my legs became accustomed to a slower pace. (This is something I'll be training differently on for the next marathon, more on that later)  I've been working to slowly get it back down but keeping it there is the struggle.  I would LOVE to be able to review and post my mile-by-mile splits from my Garmin, but seeing as how it won't connect (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) I will have to settle with chip time splits instead. 

I thought my 10K time was way faster than last weeks, but apparently it was only :20 faster.  Womp womp.  Based on my 10K time and my total finish time, it's safe to say that the last 3 miles were a disaster.  I was tired, my legs were tired, and my right calf seized up on me which then triggered the pain in my right arch.  Also worth noting, the roads were so slippery!  I love my new Adidas Boost but it was very apparent there is zero traction on those bad boys!  Much of my mental time those last three miles was spent watching every step and actually walking the downhills because I was sliding around like crazy.  I finished the race in 1:38:35 with a 10:36/mile pace, and completely drenched from head to toe.  I looked like I had on a swimsuit!     

Needless to say this race was disappointing but all I could do was laugh.  Not every race can be a good one that's for sure!  I got to run this race with my husband, my family, and several friends who were out there as well so all-in-all, it was a fun day! 

Speaking of my husband, I have to give him a quick shout out for the awesome race that he had!  He finished with a time of 1:12:21.  He's the kenyan of the family and I'm glad at least one of us had a good showing out there.  His overall stats:

No comments:

Post a Comment